For forthcoming events, registration is available via the relevant post:
- ‘The People’ and Institutions of Law3 October 2019 at UNSW Law, Sydney Speaker: Dr Paweł Banaś In his recent articles discussing the ‘Artefact Theory of Law,’ Luka Burazin suggested a two-staged picture of the emergence of legal systems. According to Burazin, first, a relevant community creates (via a social norm of recognition) “a general idea of a legal system” or … Read more
- Poland’s Constitutional Breakdown28 August 2019 at UNSW Law, Sydney A conversation on Poland as a case study of where populism meets constitutionalism – and not for the better. Speaker: Professor Wojciech Sadurski In his recently-released book, Professor Wojciech Sadurski has achieved a masterly contribution to one of the great questions of the times – how has Poland, … Read more
- The Human Right to a Name4 September 2019 at UNSW Law, Sydney Recognizing the Human Right to a Name and the Implications for Giving and Changing Personal Names Speaker: Alison Dundes Renteln Alison Dundes Renteln is a Professor of Political Science at the University of Southern California, with joint appointments in Anthropology, Law, and Public Policy.* Ideas Professor Reteln will speak … Read more
- Towards Populist Jurisprudence?14 August 2019 at UNSW Law, Sydney Rights and Community in the Rulings of the Polish Constitutional Court 2017-2019 Speaker: Michał Stambulski The backdrop for this presentation is Poland's parliamentary elections in 2015 and the subsequent change in the composition of the Polish Constitutional Court. The Court – once one of the main guardians of … Read more
- Augmented Democracy – (Th)e-Rule of Law and Democrac-e24 July 2019 at UNSW Law, Sydney How could technology augment processes associated with selection of representatives to the legislature and the creation of legislation? Speaker: Paul Burgess Paul teaches Public Law, Human Rights, and Constitutional Theory at the University College London. His research is interdisciplinary and his core research area is Rule of Law. … Read more
Individual posts about events will include a link to the pre-event working paper, if one is available, plus a post-event recording, if one is made.